Alana has been sleeping 9-10 hours at night! I am one happy mama. Occasionally, she wakes up in the middle of the night and wants her paci. Once we give it to her, she usually goes right back to sleep. We've come a long way. As a newborn, she started in our bedroom in the pack n' play bassinet and would wake every 2 hours to nurse. At six weeks, I put her in her crib in the nursery and she adjusted well but would still wake a few times per night to feed and would sometimes fuss a while before falling back to sleep. Around 10 weeks, I weaned her from night time feedings and she progressively slept for longer stretches until we made it to 9-10 hours!
Our bedtime routine is a bath around 7:30, book, swaddle, white noise machine, nurse, and she's asleep by 8:30. She doesn't have a hard time falling asleep and she doesn't need her paci. In the mornings, she gets up around 6:00. She's very happy in the mornings, which makes that time particularly special. Andrew usually changes her and gets her dressed and then brings her to me in bed. I feed her and then we all hang out on the bed. She often falls back asleep on our bed, which gives us time to get ready to head out by 7:30.
I don’t have "official stats" to share this month; we go back to the doctor next month, but Alana is definitely gaining weight and growing. We weighed her the other day on our scale and she was 15 lbs 4 oz. She is in size 2 diapers and has outgrown 0-3 month clothes and most 3 month clothes. I wouldn't be surprised if she is still in the 75th percentile. We sometimes call her chunky monkey because she is a chubby little baby.
Speaking of nicknames, we have quite a few
- Alana bear: we use this one quite often. It’s a version of yogi bear. Yogi being something Andrew and I call each other on occasion.
- Gummy nugget: when I was still pregnant, I thought she looked like a gummy bear and a nugget on the ultrasound picture.
- Kleine Maus: this is a German nickname. I don’t know why I call her this when I speak German to her, but it just comes naturally. Maybe mom used to call us this when we were little... I can’t remember.
- Goose: Andrew calls her this a lot. I’m not sure what the story is behind it.
- Kleine Gans: German translation for small goose.
Andrew and I have enjoyed watching Alana develop this last month. Toys and books are now capturing her attention much more than before and her interaction with us and other people has progressed from simple eye contact to true back-and-forth communication. She smiles, talks, and laughs out loud. Overall, she’s a happy, content, and flexible baby. She doesn’t mind being out and about and she does very well at church. At church she either calmly observes what’s going on around her, or she’s falling asleep (I think the singing makes her sleepy).
She no longer minds falling asleep in our arms on occasion. She also doesn't mind getting her face washed anymore.
New things Alana likes…
- Reading books
- Looking at mirrors
- Playing with her dangly toys that hang from her car seat
- Ms. Sabrina and Ms. Sandra, her daycare teachers
- Taking bottles from Andrew and me. She does well with bottles at daycare and she took a bottle no problem from our friend Kevin. Maybe she knows that when she’s with me, she should be able to nurse and when she’s with Andrew, chances are I’m around and she should be able to nurse. Smart little baby J. We also figured out though that Sandra and Sabrina sit her up when giving her a bottle and Kevin had her upright as well when he successfully fed her. Next time Andrew tries to feed her a bottle, he’s going to position her upright. Maybe that will do the trick.









I love the video and fun facts! She is adorable and I can't wait to meet her!
ReplyDelete